Thursday, June 5, 2014

Though we fall, we will arise

A few months ago a friend invited me to her birthday party at a skating rink. It had been many years since I skated. Although I was hoping that it wouldn't be hard to get back into the swing of things, it turned out to be pretty challenging. The thought of the skates on the slippery floor was a little scary. I didn't think I was going to be able to keep my balance. 
I practiced for a while on the carpet until I felt ready to get in the rink with the more experienced skaters. I was hoping nobody would bump into me. I skated on the hard floor and then I got back on the carpet. Then I built up the courage to skate a few times around the skating rink all the while staying close to the rail if I needed to reach out. Yes, I was being way too cautious! 
I realized that the whole time I was trying so hard not to fall. In the middle of all my safeguards, I realized that if I really wanted to learn how to skate then my goal shouldn't be to not fall. The whole time I was learning how to not fall and not how to skate.
In times of learning I should know that I will fall and I will make mistakes. Many things have been discovered and invented through mistakes and the willingness of people who didn't give up.  In life, my goal should not be to not make mistakes. That attitude will keep me from ever trying.

"for though the righteous fall seven times, they rise again, but the wicked stumble when calamity strikes." Proverbs 24:16 NIV

No comments: