Kindness is a fruit of the Spirit but niceness is not. (Galatians 5:22, 23) Niceness helps people and they appreciate it but kindness leaves an impression on people and changes lives. Niceness is good and there's nothing wrong with it but sometimes we can get caught up in going through the motions of niceness. I am so guilty of this.
For example: Sometimes I give a polite answer to people and treat them nice as I'm in a hurry or trying to focus on a task but I realize later that I didn't really interact with them or connect with them.
I can do something nice for someone throughout my day but if I do something kind for someone it will have more meaning, thoughtfulness, and love behind it.
I realize that I often hear the phrase "random acts of kindness" but I've never heard the phrase "random acts of niceness".
Again, there's nothing wrong with being nice. We should be nice and respectful to people. But kindness is taking niceness a step further. Kindness is living outside of ourselves and thinking about others.
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law." (Galatians 5:22, 23 NASB)
No comments:
Post a Comment