Sunday, January 18, 2015

Be Still

Our church is just starting a fast and we are focusing on certain passages of scripture to study each day for the duration of the fast. Today's passage is, Psalm 139:1-18.
This passage really touched my heart and there was one part that made me want to study it more - Psalm 139:18.
"Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand— when I awake, I am still with you." (Psalm 139:18 NIV)
The last few words of this scripture made me wonder what David (the writer) meant by the words, "I am still with you". I thought to myself, Does that mean that when he wakes up that David is still with God because God never left his side? Or does that mean that David is still, at peace, trusting God to take care of him, not worrying, and not striving because He knows what a powerful God he serves? 

After studying it a little more I think he meant that The Lord never left him. Psalm 139:18 was cross referenced to a similar scripture Psalm 3:5, "I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me."
I also realized that both qualities are true about God: 1) He asks us to be still and trust Him and know that He is God. 2) He will also never leave us.
See supporting scripture below.

"He says, 'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.'" (Psalm 46:10 NIV)

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Deuteronomy 31:6 NIV)




No comments: