Sunday, January 4, 2015

A Time Before Rain

I always thought it was so interesting that there was a time before rain existed! Can you imagine? Although I really do enjoy thunder storms and wearing my rain boots. :) And would no rain mean no more bad hair days!?! This is how God used to water the ground...

"Now no shrub had yet appeared on the earth and no plant had yet sprung up, for the Lord God had not sent rain on the earth and there was no one to work the ground, but streams came up from the earth and watered the whole surface of the ground." (Genesis 2:5-6 NIV)

Something I learned in a sermon a couple years ago is that God asked Noah to build the Ark before rain even existed. Noah had not seen rain before but he was preparing and believing for the things unseen because God instructed him to. What incredible faith of Noah. I believe that the following scripture describes his faith exactly:

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." (Hebrews 11:1 KJV)

Noah's great faith is specifically noted in the book of Hebrews:

"By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith." (Hebrews 11:7 NIV)

As we continue with the story of Noah, God said,
"Seven days from now I will send rain on the earth for forty days and forty nights, and I will wipe from the face of the earth every living creature I have made.” (Genesis 7:4 NIV)

Noah believed God and built the Ark to save his family from the flood. He believed what God said even though he hadn't seen rain yet. He believed and had faith to do what he was asked to do. He saw The Lord's instruction as more important than what people would think. Even though he didn't understand or know what rain was he didn't let the unknown stop him.

"And Noah did all that the Lord commanded him." (Genesis 7:5 NIV)

I imagine that Noah and his family faced some form of mockery and that people questioned what he was doing. Noah however kept His eyes on God and did what was asked of him. 

I pray to have that kind of faith and to deepen my faith and trust God more. To do what He's asking me to do even if I haven't witnessed what God has asked me to do. Even if it's different. Even if I get made fun of. Even if people don't understand. 

I've decided that The Lord is more important than what people think of me. I have learned from some of my dear Pastors that sometimes being obedient to God will offend others. 

I close with a scripture that always helps me with the struggle of people pleasing:

"Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ." (Galatians 1:10 NIV)

*All bold emphasis mine. 

No comments: