"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." John 14:27.
So what does this mean? Let's take it piece by piece, shall we?
Jesus is speaking to His disciples and says, "Peace I leave with you." He gave us His peace. But He goes on to say that He does not give as the world gives. What does that mean? To me it means that on this earth we can be given things even with the best intentions but some things don't always last. Things can break, fall apart, or just get worn out after we have used them for so long. But not the things that Jesus gives! :)
He gives us a peace that is life changing and everlasting. It's like something that we've never known because it's not as the world gives. It never gets close to running out.
The second part of the scripture says, "Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." This tells me that I can make a choice not to let my heart be troubled or fearful. It's not to say that I won't ever feel hurt or disappintment but I can take control over my heart and keep directing it back to Him.
Jesus is not asking us but telling us in a statement, "Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful." I can give my heart to God and be confident that He will take care of me.
This is not the only place in the Bible that it says, "Do not let your heart be troubled." He's getting our attention. Why would He tell us that if it wasn't for a reason? If He couldn't follow through? If there wasn't a powerful significance to follow? We can trust Him!
No comments:
Post a Comment