Sunday, December 30, 2012

This year I was incredibly blessed by going on my first mission’s trip. A group of us from my church went to Joplin, Missouri to help rebuild after one year had passed from the devastation of tornados. We came to work on a few people’s houses.  One experience that really stuck out in my mind was when the Holy Spirit moved inside me and I knew that I was supposed to ask a lady if she wanted to pray. But like so many of us do, I started analyzing the situation of why it didn’t make sense. The lady didn’t say much and seemed a little distant. She remained upstairs while we worked downstairs.  I thought, “Surely this lady does not want me to talk to her.” When I would see her walk by, the Holy Spirit prompted me but unfortunately I didn’t pray with her that day. Thankfully we were coming to her house the next day but I should have stepped up no matter what because the Lord asked me to. An opportunity went by because I leaned on my own understanding. (Proverbs 3:5)
 
The next day, we were cleaning up and the lady came downstairs and I knew I couldn’t let that second chance pass by. Before I left I told her thank you for allowing us into her home. Then I asked her if there was something that we could pray for her about. In an instant she reached out her hands towards mine and said yes and began to tell me what she wanted to pray about. She was just waiting for someone to ask her! She wanted to pray that her home would be God’s home, that her home would be a home for missionaries, and that she would be living in God’s will for her life. Another missionary and I held her hands and we prayed together.

What a great memory and lesson that will live on in my heart. The moments in which God is asking us to act are so precious. I will choose to follow God even when things don’t make sense. I don’t have to understand to be obedient to God.